[CSS21] Default table border width in collapsing border model

From: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:14:56 +0100

I'm having a hard time understanding the text describing the collapsing border model, 17.6.2:

Before entangling in complex descriptions, here's an example that I do not understand the rendering of. It seems all major current browsers agree in their rendering, but i don't see how their rendering agrees with the spec.

All browsers render the left border of the cell in the second row with a rather thin red line, when I would expect it to be 25px wide (initial left border width of the table, calculated as per 17.6.2) instead.

Test case:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
        <title>Collapsing borders model table border default width (=half of first cell's collapsed border width)</title>
        <link rel="help" href="http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#collapsing-borders" />
                border: solid red;
                border-collapse: collapse;
                background: transparent;