Re: [CSS21] Empty line boxes should be mentioned in 10.8

On 30/11/2011 11:36, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Section 10.8 of CSS 2.1 states that the line-height property defines the
> minimal height for every line box. However, the ninth paragraph of
> section 9.4.2 states that empty line boxes are to be treated as
> zero-height or non existent.
>
> Both statements seem to be contradictory. I think that the exception of
> empty line boxes (with "empty" as defined in 9.4.2) should be mentioned
> in 10.8.

Hi Simon,

This sentence in 9.4.2 is notorious!  However, crucially, it says that
that certain line boxes are to be treated as zero-height for an
explicitly-specified calculation, and as non-existent for all other
purposes.

If the line box is non-existent then there is no height, so I don't
think the two statements are contradictory.  One could argue that the
statement in 9.4.2 belongs in 10.8, but to be honest there are a number
of places at which the spec could be rearranged but I don't think
there's much value in doing so at this stage of its life cycle.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net