[css3-writing-modes][cssom-view] scrollIntoView in vertical flow

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 10:11:20 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
A friend of mine found that scrollIntoView[1] doesn't work when principal writing mode is vertical, because the spec assumes text flows top to bottom, which is not true for vertical flow. He was developing a JavaScript to highlight text being read by SMIL[2].

I think we need to apply dimensional mapping[3] to CSSOM View. "Scroll an element into view"[4] must be logicalized. Whether to logicalize properties such as clientTop might need discussions. I think practical answer is to logicalize them as well because physical means many scripts must be re-written to run well in vertical flow, and I can't imagine good use of these properties as physical.

Thoughts?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/cssom-view/#dom-element-scrollintoview
[2] http://www.epubcafe.jp/egls/epubcon01a/0101
[3] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#dimension-mapping