Re: [css3-text] @text-transform order

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 00:26:25 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> How would we define the order to apply multiple @text-transform rules?
>>
>> @text-transform a { "abc" to "cde"; }
>> @text-transform b { "abc" to "fgh"; }
>>
>> Would it be "h" or "f"? I guess UA applies rules from left to right and
>> therefore "h"?
>
> First off, I think that the 'text-transform' property should accept only
> one value, and combinations should happen in the @rule. Like so:

I agree, text-transform should take a single value, and composition should
be controlled inside the @-rule.

The current CSS3-TEXT text-tranform property allows combinations
like "capitalize full-width", but I don't think this is a very good idea.
With the current set of transforms, it isn't all that useful, and it only
works because the current transforms are orthogonal to each-other
(or at least, I hope they are, but I wouldn't actually be all that
surprised if some things have an uppercase variant, but not a fullwidth
variant...), but it doesn't scale very well when you keep adding other
transforms.

  - Florian