Re: [css3-images] element() and element()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:46:00 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> GCPM defines an element() function, which returns an element
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#running-elements
>
> and Images defines an element() function, which returns an image
>  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#running-elements
>
> They are not the same, and they are both acceptable as input to 'content'.
>
> I don't have a solution, but there is a conflict here.

GCPM's ability is, for all intents and purposes, just a slight
behavior variant on Regions.  It would be more appropriate to reuse
the machinery that Regions does.

In particular, flow-from and flow-to should both accept
running(<ident>) values in addition to their current values, which
have the behavior that GCPM defines (one element per flow at a time,
drawing from the flow doesn't exhaust it, can choose per-page which
element placed into the flow to use).

That would avoid the ambiguity, and merge the mental models of two
very similar abilities (similar in author's minds, at least).