Re: [css3-images] element() in css3-image

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, fantasai wrote:
>>> In that case it can be removed without changing the meaning of the spec,
>>> so let's do that and avoid the concerns about it.
>>
>> Uh, no.  It's a useful example of how host languages can extend the
>> set of matchable elements.
>
> Sure, it's a nice example. But it doesn't change anything meaningful,
> and is therefore not critical. I'd rather add a nice example when
> there's a spec we're all happy to reference than put in an example
> that may become invalid within the next month.

If it does, we change it.  Not a problem, since it'll be editorial.
Images will spend a little while in CR, after all, certainly long
enough to stabilize the feature in the example somewhere.

>>> If I want to use an SVG paint server as a background, and in order to do
>>> that I have to insert the<pattern>  element into every HTML file I apply
>>> my stylesheet to, that's pretty broken feature design whatever you want
>>> to call it.
>>
>> Or you can use scripting to generate it and insert it into the
>> document.  This is identical to the case where you want to use a
>> <canvas>  as the background.
>
> And this is better how?

It's equivalent to the common case of using a <canvas> in element(),
so it's at least as good as that.