Re: [css3-images] element() in css3-image

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:47 AM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-images/issues-lc-2012
>>>
>>> ====== On element() ======
>>>
>>> There's a ton of substantive issues on element(), particularly on the use
>>> of
>>> elements that are not in the document. Given:
>>>
>>>  - the number of issues and their relative severity
>>>  - the state of references to CSSElementMap
>>

>> The reference is informative.
>

> In that case it can be removed without changing the meaning of the spec,
> so let's do that and avoid the concerns about it.

Uh, no.  It's a useful example of how host languages can extend the
set of matchable elements.

>> Nothing else needs to be said.
>
> If it's a CSS-only mapping, then it should be defined in a CSS spec,
> not HTML. If it's not, and it's a general ID-mapping mechanism, then
> it should be called ElementMap, not CSSElementMap.

I'm filing the bug as I type against W3C's HTML5, so we can get the
opinion of the DOM people as well.

>>>  - and the fact that the currently-proposed solution requires either
>>> scripting
>>>   or presentation-only elements in the document even for simple cases
>>> like
>>>   "I want to use a bunch of statically-defined paint servers written in
>>>   SVG"
>>

>> Don't mix together the notions of "presentation-only HTML" and
>> "presentation-only SVG".  *Most* of SVG is presentation-only.  That's
>> the point.
>
> If I want to use an SVG paint server as a background, and in order to do
> that I have to insert the <pattern> element into every HTML file I apply
> my stylesheet to, that's pretty broken feature design whatever you want
> to call it.

Or you can use scripting to generate it and insert it into the
document.  This is identical to the case where you want to use a
<canvas> as the background.