i18n-ISSUE-140: Multilingual q nesting

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:01:56 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
CC: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
7.1. Inserting quotes with the 'content' property

I'm wondering whether we need a way to reset the embedding levels of quotes.

Here's the reason:

If you have the following CSS:

:lang(en) > * { quotes: '"' '"' "'" "'"; }
:lang(no) > * { quotes: "«" "»" '"' '"' }

And you have

You'd expect to see

Some Norwegian text «more norwegian "more norwegian"».

which perfectly fine.

But if you had

Then I think you'd see

Some English text "Some norwegian "more norwegian"".

I'd have thought that the quotes surrounding the text 'more norwegian'
here should be surrounded by «...». This could maybe be done by a rule
that says that if a q element carries a lang attribute, the next
embedded q attribute should use the highest level quote marks.

Or perhaps it needs some attribute to reset the levels?

In addition, maybe that would also give you more control over how the
quotes are used in other situations (such as to replicate the original
text) - although perhaps that's best achieved using special class names
or just by avoiding q altogether.

[Reviewed by the i18n WG]

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead