Re: [css3-background]

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:44:00 -0800
To: "Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com" <mtanalin@yandex.ru>
Cc: Lev Solntsev <greli@mail.ru>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com
<mtanalin@yandex.ru> wrote:
> A possible option is to allow rgba() as direct background-image property value -- without redundant image() function-wrapper.

That can't be done without changing 'background' parsing, since the
first <color> you see would be ambiguous as to whether it should be
treated as a background-color or background-image. You'd have to wait
until you parsed the entire layer to tell for sure, and this sort of
thing is generally avoided.  (We do this in list-style, but that was
probably a mistake.)

It's unclear whether this is a big enough deal to care about, but I do
like it for its elegance, particularly since colors are paint servers
(the analogue of CSS's <image> type) in SVG.