Re: [css3-background]

CC lea since she requested it last year and Brian has linked to that
message in this one.

On 28/02/2012 7:31 AM, Brian Manthos wrote:
> Lev Solntsev:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Now CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3 working draft says
>> that you can specify color only on final background layer. It could
>> be reasonable because one can see nothing under the solid colored
>> background. But there is one option that left forgotten:
>> semi-transparent colors, which can be defined with hsla or rgba.
>>
>> Imagine, I may want to place a picture on background, then blend it
>> by semitransparent black or white, and place some picture on top. I
>> can't do it now with current background syntax and I believe that
>> the specification must allow this scenario.
>>
>> Of course, I can fake semitransparent color by a special cooked
>> picture but is it what CSS is called to avoid, isn't it?
>
> Hi! :)
>
> The "now" part confuses me a little.  I think that's been there for
> 2-3 years at this point.
>
> Some related prior discussion:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Sep/0381.html

Instead of using 'background-color' or some cooked image, why not used
color block gradients [1] as the final background layer.

A test with a semi-transparent background layer over a 'background-image'.

(the last example #test2 uses background-clip)

http://css-class.com/test/temp/semi-tran-gradient-block-colors.htm

It works in IE10 and all other current release browsers.

1. http://css-class.com/test/css/3/gradients/gradient-art.htm

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/