Re: [css3-grid-layout] grid-column-span: auto

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM, François REMY
<fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Dear CSS Grid Layout editors,
>
> Based on the discussion I had with Alexander Shpack on the list, there are
> some things I would like to see added in the spec, or at least debated with
> you. Some aren’t related to what was discussed specifically, but I took the
> initiative to put Alexander in CC anyway. To keep things simple, I’ll send
> one mail by feature. This mail concerns the addition of “grid-*-span: auto”.
>

> Suppose I have a grid defined like this :

> #grid { grid-columns: repeat(100px); grid-rows-sizing: 100px; grid-flow:
> columns; }
> #grid > div.tile { background: #333; margin: 10px; padding: 10px; color:
> white; }
>
> Now, imagine that some tiles contains more text than some other, and that I
> would like to get a result close to what you can see in the image I attached
> to this mail. I propose to add a “grid-row-span: auto” and a
> “grid-column-span: auto” values. Those values have the following effect:

[as] What happens if my content contains only two blocks, but both
will have very large content. And what happens if #grid will have both
declarations at same time:  “grid-row-span: auto” and
“grid-column-span: auto”?