RE: [css3-grid-layout] semantic zoom in grid's templates

From: Phil Cupp <pcupp@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:29:26 +0000
To: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
CC: CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
>From: François REMY [mailto:fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr]
>My reasoning is simple: the first representation (the "fraction bar" one) is easily readable, while the second one ("multiline template") is impossible to understand, and very complex to type.

[pcupp] I think there are a lot of strong opinions about template syntax.  Here my view is opposite your own.  I think one can see the shape of the grid in the multi-line example and not the alternative you proposed.

>Also, the "multiple lines" string template is unstable.

[pcupp] I agree a weakness of the template syntax is maintenance of the template definition.  You trade the pain of making ascii art for a visual representation of the grid.  Authors that currently take the time to create and maintain ascii art in the comments of their code will likely enjoy a new ability to have their art actually be the layout definition.  Authors that choose not to spend time on such things don't need a template syntax at all.  Just define row and column definitions and (optionally) use named lines.