Re: [css3-images] Referencing <svg> element directly with element()

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:02:53 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 2/24/12 8:06 AM, Erik Dahlstrom wrote:
>>> Hmm. <pattern> removes the layout-information dependencies, but not
>>> the style dependencies. I've now corrected that so that paint sources
>>> that aren't rendered use initial values if they try to inherit.
>>
>> Ok.
>
> Er.... how does that work?  The display:none itself could be inherited!
>
> I really don't think you can remove the style dependencies sanely here,
> fwiw....

This is fine, actually.  Even if the property that caused it to be not
rendered is inherited (and switching off the inheritance would return
it to being rendered), it's already in the "draw as a paint source"
clause.  As a paint source, it uses its intrinsic appearance, which is
completely unaffected by layout.

I've added a clarifying note, however, basically equivalent to the
preceding paragraph.