Re: Proposal to enable -css- prefix on transform and appearance

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:57:32 -0800
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
On 2/23/12 1:44 PM, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> When vendors *intend* to be implementing the same spec., I think the pressure
> should be on them to fix their bugs; relieving that pressure by writing
> vendor-specific rules only alleviates the pressure.
> However, one obvious alternative is to have each vendor implement both their
> prefix and the 'group' prefix,m as suggested above, and evangelize the public
> 'group' prefix, so web pages can be written using the common definition.

One possibility that just popped into my mind is to have the group prefix be

So for new property 'bleen' WebKit could implement -webkit-bleen and
-test-bleen. Mozilla would implement -moz-bleen and -test-bleen.

Tests could be written using -test-bleen, which is a solution for the
currently unresolved issue of how to write and run tests when only
vendor-prefixed versions exist. Once we get to the point of dropping
prefixes, the test suite could be converted to drop -test- as well.

When evangelizing, we'd encourage experiments with the -test- version, and
the word 'test' seems to me more of a red flag on production use than any
proposal I've seen yet.