Re: Proposal to enable -css- prefix on transform and appearance

From: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:57:32 -0800
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>
On 2/23/12 1:44 PM, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> When vendors *intend* to be implementing the same spec., I think the pressure
> should be on them to fix their bugs; relieving that pressure by writing
> vendor-specific rules only alleviates the pressure.
>
> However, one obvious alternative is to have each vendor implement both their
> prefix and the 'group' prefix,m as suggested above, and evangelize the public
> 'group' prefix, so web pages can be written using the common definition.

One possibility that just popped into my mind is to have the group prefix be
'-test-'

So for new property 'bleen' WebKit could implement -webkit-bleen and
-test-bleen. Mozilla would implement -moz-bleen and -test-bleen.

Tests could be written using -test-bleen, which is a solution for the
currently unresolved issue of how to write and run tests when only
vendor-prefixed versions exist. Once we get to the point of dropping
prefixes, the test suite could be converted to drop -test- as well.

When evangelizing, we'd encourage experiments with the -test- version, and
the word 'test' seems to me more of a red flag on production use than any
proposal I've seen yet.

Thanks,

Alan