Re: [css3-fonts] simplifying font-variant-ligatures

On 02/16/2012 09:01 PM, John Daggett wrote:

> Eric Muller wrote:
>
>> In Flash, we have implemented the equivalent of what you propose (a
>> single axis), and we have had a strong push to move to what you
>> currently have (three separate axis).
>
> What's the motivation behind the push to separate axes?  Keep in mind
> that the 'font-feature-settings' property *does* provide access to the
> separate features.  I think having a single axis covers the majority of
> use cases (e.g. discretionary-ligatures).

IIRC 'font-feature-settings' was intended to be an escape hatch for
experimental or particularly arcane cases, and has some very...
interesting interactions with other properties that is otherwise
would not be a good idea.

We shouldn't be using it as a way to defer useful features out of
the normal syntax, imho. +1 to Christopher Slye [1]

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Feb/0894.html

~fantasai