Re: [css3-exclusions] Reconciling exclusions and floats

On 2/17/12 1:06 PM, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

> Commenting on:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-exclusions/#wrap-flow-property
>
> I'm bothered by the relationship of the wrap-flow property to the float
> property.

What's in the spec now was discussed at the last face-to-face and Vincent
took an action to add floats to the processing model for exclusions [1]. The
action isn't entirely clear on that point, but if you look at the minutes
[2] you can see that floats was the topic that produced the issue.

> Are there any use cases that can be provided of a real-world exclusions-based
> layout that cannot be achieved with floats and positioning?

I agree that most real-world use cases for exclusions will likely be floats.
But *requiring* the use of floats seems a little odd to me. Say I want to
put an exclusion on the middle yellow box of example 23 in css3-layout [3].
Why should I be required to redefine slot c as a page float in order to add
an exclusion? I think I should be able to position an element with an
exclusion using whatever tools CSS gives me.

[1] https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/actions/443
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Feb/0531.html
[3] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-layout/#stacking-order