Re: [css3-transitions] shorthand/longhand handling in transition property

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 17:10:19 -0800
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday 2010-10-22 22:04 +0000, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> The current Editor's Draft [1] defines both the following rules:
>
> # If one of the identifiers listed is a shorthand property, implementations
> # must start transitions for any of its longhand sub-properties that are animatable,
> # using the duration, delay, and timing function at the index corresponding to the
> # shorthand.
>
> # If a property is specified multiple times in the value of 'transition-property'
> # (either on its own or via a shorthand that contains it), then the transition that
> # starts uses the duration, delay, and timing function at the index corresponding to
> # the last occurrence of the property.
>
> What seems undefined is whether the following results in a duplicate:
>
> transition-property: border-width, border-right-width;
> transition-duration: 3s, 1s;
>
> In other words, should this be equivalent to (a):
>
> transition-property: border-top-width, border-bottom-width, border-left-width, border-right-width;
> transition-duration: 3s, 3s, 3s, 1s;
>
> Or (b):
>
> transition-property: border-top-width, border-right-width, border-bottom-width, border-left-width, border-right-width;
> transition-duration: 3s, 3s, 3s, 3s, 1s;

So the current editor's draft contains the wording:

  # If a property is specified multiple times in the value of
  # ‘transition-property’ (either on its own, via a shorthand that
  # contains it, or via the ‘all’ value), then the transition that
  # starts uses the duration, delay, and timing function at the
  # index corresponding to the last item in the value of
  # ‘transition-property’ that calls for animation that property.

(It's been there for a bit, though I just modified it a bit to match
a resolution regarding 'all' that we made at TPAC.)

I think this makes things clear enough.  Does it seem ok to you?

-David