Re: [cssom] Supporting JS properties whose names are CSS property names on CSSDeclaration objects

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:07:38 -0500
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 2/15/12 7:12 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com
> <mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Same thing.  We need to either get WebKit and IE to change their
>     implementation to expose only the specced property name ("cssFloat"),
>     or change the spec to mandate additionally exposing the "float"
>     property name, treated as an alias.
> While I agree with excluding property name aliases using the hyphenated
> names, the question of 'float' is more interesting, since its status as
> a future reserved keyword was changed in ECMA-262, 5th Ed., which
> removed it from the list of reserved keywords.

It actually doesn't matter whether it's a reserved keyword in ES or not.
  ES allows reserved keywords as property names.  This is a perfectly
valid ES script:

   var o = {}
   o.const = 5;
   o.var = 6;
   o.continue = 7;
   o.return = 8

As far as I can tell the only reason the float vs cssFloat thing
happened was so that other language bindings that have more stringent
requirements on property names would not run into problems.