Re: [cssom] Supporting JS properties whose names are CSS property names on CSSDeclaration objects

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:22:19 -0800
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Same thing.  We need to either get WebKit and IE to change their
>> implementation to expose only the specced property name ("cssFloat"),
>> or change the spec to mandate additionally exposing the "float"
>> property name, treated as an alias.
>
> While I agree with excluding property name aliases using the hyphenated
> names, the question of 'float' is more interesting, since its status as a
> future reserved keyword was changed in ECMA-262, 5th Ed., which removed it
> from the list of reserved keywords.

That was always a distraction in the first place - JS has never had
any such restriction on property names, you just had to access it with
the bracket notation.

However, JS *in general* no longer restricts the reserved keywords
from being used with the dot notation.  Plus 'float' isn't a reserved
keyword anymore anyway, as you say.

So yeah, that shouldn't be a factor, and we should probably spec
"float" as a valid property on the interface, regardless of what we do
for dash-properties.