[css3-values] Reference Pixel (was: DPI in resolution media queries)

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:22:53 +0100
Cc: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Tab Atkins Jr.:
> No, the CSS px was *meant* to have this behavior.  It's supposed to represent a particular ocular angle, and we defined it to be the size of a legacy device pixel for convenience.

Yes, yet neither CSS2.1 nor CSS3 Values talks about it in a really useful way: There should be a list of usual viewing distances for common device classes (maybe depending on their size) and the reference pixel should be given in minutes, not degrees of arc. Also a formula to relate device-pixel density or size with viewing distance and CSS pixel would be helpful.