Re: [css3-mediaqueries] DPI in resolution media queries

On 15/2/12 18:34, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> It'd be easier to understand the mistake(s) given use-cases. Or
> better, links to sites that depend on Gecko's behavior as you
> understand it?
The mistake is that there is *no way* to define something as X physical
inches in CSS. Currently, lengths defined in any other unit will end up
being huge in one screen with huge DPI and tiny in another. Resolution
media queries were a way to solve this.
As for sites that depend on (or even use) Gecko's behavior, it's
unlikely that they exist, since WebKit does not support resolution media
queries and Presto doesn't support them properly (always assumes a
resolution of 96dpi). Not sure what Trident does. I'm not saying this
change shouldn't be done for backwards compatibility reasons. I'm saying
it shouldn't be done because it makes UAs implement something that
authors will likely never use like that.