Re: [css3-flexbox] added algorithms for pagination and flex distribution

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 17:46:29 -0800
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
CC: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Hi Alex,

On 02/14/2012 02:43 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> I made two changes to the spec:
>
> 1)Added algorithm for pagination. It has a couple of issues for dealing
> with overflow and dealing with forced breaks. There were good ideas at
> discussion with Fantasai, to be included next.

I've got a few clarification questions on pagination.

Suppose we split a single-line vertical flexbox across a page boundary.

(1) Do we run the flexbox space-distribution algorithm on each page's
partial-flexbox separately? (to distribute space among the items that
land on that page)

(I'm guessing "yes" given that your new spec text describes how to get
the remaining available space on each new page, and available space is
primarily important as an input to space-distribution algorithm.)

ASSUMING THE ANSWER TO (1) IS "yes":
OK, so now suppose we're splitting our vertical flexbox in the middle of
a splittable flexbox item.

  (2) Does this split produce two flexbox items (one per page)?  And if
so, what are the resulting flexibilities of those items -- do they each
get the full flexibility of the original item? Or do they divide it up
somehow? (This might get complicated with "flex()" syntax, too, if they
have to divide up the preferred-size component as well).

Thanks,
~Daniel