RE: Vendor Prefixes and Generic Prefixes: who shall use which when and why?

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:04:56 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Dean Jackson:
> In particular, the standards process was delayed because I (and others
> at Apple) didn't have enough time to devote to working on specs. Despite
> having billions in the bank, we don't have the luxury of full-time W3C
> editors like Hixie and Tab.

I think this indicates a root problem that some are trying to call out.

There is far more incentive to add a new shiny to the product than to make sure that shiny is progressed through standardization (in parallel, or ever).  Additionally, there are many disincentives (mind share, market share, etc.).

>   tantek: I think if you're working on open standards, you should propose
>           your features before you implement them and discuss that here.
>   smfr: We can't do that.
>   sylvaing: We can't do that either.

Part of the challenge for the WG is to address this root issue at an incentive and prioritization level.

For consideration, I'll throw out an easy disincentive:  long prefixes.

I'm confident that if authors had to write "-webkit-contact-www-hyphen-style-at-w3-dot-org-for-standardization-text-size-adjust" that there would be a strong incentive to get the first W3C draft submitted quickly.