Re: [css3-text] combining transforms

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:39:05 +0100, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
wrote:

> While I understand the value of @-rule, I don't understand the value of
> prohibiting combination from your explanations.

I don't want to prohibit combinations. I say we may not need two different
mechanisms for combining.

> Let's say an author defined an @-rule to the root element so that the
> document looks better in vertical flow. Applying "uppercase" to a div
> canceling the @-rule doesn't make sense. It only makes sense when the
> @-rule is about case transformation.

When the text-transform property is used to combine two transforms, the
order in which they are applied is not under author control. It is
predefined for predefined transforms. Without knowing what all transforms
that are being combined are, we cannot specify in which order it is best
to apply them. Because of that, I don't think the combination mechanism
of the text-transform property is adequate to combine predefined transforms
with custom transforms, or custom transforms together.

Since the combination mechanism in @text-transform is able to deal with all
cases, thanks to leaving the order under author control, I propose that
this
should be the only mechanism we keep.

  - Florian