Re: [css3-transforms] Making transform-origin a list, converting transform to comma separated

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:44:02 +0100
To: Lea Verou <leaverou@gmail.com>
Cc: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Sunday 2012-02-05 02:07 +0200, Lea Verou wrote:
> Also, this is not a per-transform function issue. It's not something
> that *some* transform functions need (in which case, it would make
> sense to add it as a parameter). It's something *all* transform
> functions need, hence it makes much more sense to be a separate
> property.

transform-origin isn't strictly needed at all.  It's syntactic
sugar.  Use of any transform-origin other than the top-left is the
same as adding translate(originX, originY) to the beginning of the
transform list and translate(-originX, -originY) to the end of the
transform list.

I think providing the syntactic sugar for origins for the simple
case is a reasonable compromise between ease-of-use and complexity,
and I don't see a strong reason to change it.

-David