Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

From: Vincent Hardy <vhardy@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 04:43:34 -0800
To: Anton Prowse <prowse@moonhenge.net>
CC: "www-style@w3.org Style" <www-style@w3.org>

On Feb 3, 2012, at 12:42 PM, Anton Prowse wrote:

It will be easier for me to agree if I see an example where regions
render atomically (as would be expected when regions are used as
pages). Is it possible to achieve with existing options? Will it be
enough to make regions 'position:relative' (I don't think so, just
checking)?

Using properties that induce stacking contexts (such as opacity, or
relpos with integer z-index) on an element which has a non-'none' value
of 'flow-from' (ie, on a region) ought to be enough to make the region
establish a stacking context.

[vh] This is my understanding too.

 Is there a reason to break that
established behaviour?

[vh] In the discussion so far, I think people argue that *if* the region *does not* establish a stacking context through 'normal' means, then it should not establish a stacking context, whereas the spec. currently says it does. For regions that establish a stacking context through regular means, I think the only issue I have heard so far is the one raised by Rob and for which he offered a resolution:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Feb/0069.html

Vincent