Re: [css3-regions] regions forming stacking contexts

On 2/2/12 10:35 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2012, at 5:05 AM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>  wrote:
>
>> On 2/2/12 5:55 AM, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
>>> The initial containing block for named flow is the first region. Not sure it is clearly defined now, but it is that way in paged media
>>
>> Browsers have some significant implementation differences in terms of how they handle paged media here.
>>
>> A simple example:  Say you have two rectangular regions, one 100px tall and the second 200px tall.  You have a child with the following styles:

>>                width: 100%; background: yellow">
>>
>> Do you get a 20px tall yellow box in the first region and an 80px tall yellow box in the second one?  Or just a 20px tall one in the first region?  Or something else?  What are the widths if the two regions have different widths?
>
> Those are good questions. Let's find out what webkit, gecko, opera, and IE do for paged media

"Wildly different things", in brief.  I believe that Gecko would draw a
20px tall yellow box on the first page and nothing on the second page in
that situation.  WebKit would do draw it on both pages (but fails to
implement all the stuff about fixed-pos in printing, which makes it much
simpler to have a model that behaves like that for abs-pos).  I haven't
tested Opera and recent IE...

Getting good testing of the various complexities here would be good,
yes.  Esp. for the paged media test suite.

-Boris