RE: [css3-values] RE: CSSStyleDeclaration#length and shorthands.

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 22:48:34 +0000
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Boris:
> But that has nothing to do with length and item() behavior, a priori.
> There are plenty of other cases where a property exists but is not
> reflected in length/item (e.g all nodelists have such properties, JS
> arrays have properties not reflected in the length, etc).

I have to think about this some more.  My gut reaction is that I think it's weird to have valid .propertyName count > item() count.

Example A (CSS 3)
	box-shadow: 1px 2px 3px 4px red;
Example B (CSS 7)
	box-shadow-x: 1px;
	box-shadow-y: 2px;
	box-shadow-b: 3px;
	box-shadow-s: 4px;
	box-shadow-c: red;

--- Brian's description:
Available by name:
A	boxShadow
B	boxShadow, boxShadowX, boxShadowY, boxShadowB, boxShadowS, boxShadowC
Available by item():
A	boxShadow
B	boxShadow, boxShadowX, boxShadowY, boxShadowB, boxShadowS, boxShadowC
Length:
A	1
B	6 (gain 5)

--- Boris's proposal:
Available by name:
A	boxShadow
B	boxShadow, boxShadowX, boxShadowY, boxShadowB, boxShadowS, boxShadowC
Available by item():
A	boxShadow
B	boxShadowX, boxShadowY, boxShadowB, boxShadowS, boxShadowC
Length:
A	1
B	5 (gain 5, lose 1)