Re: [CSS21] inline span with clear

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 14:10:59 -0500
To: "Philippe Wittenbergh" <ph.wittenbergh@l-c-n.com>

Le Mer 26 décembre 2012 7:38, Philippe Wittenbergh a écrit :
> The last example in the spec uses an inline element (span) and applies the
> clear property to it. – the example then goes to show the span clearing
> the floated block:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#comp-float
>
> However, higher up on the same page, the spec states, for the ‘applies to’
> line: ‘block-level elements’ (a <span> is an inline element):
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#flow-control
>
> I think the example is wrong. Current Gecko, WebKit, Presto and iirc IE 9+
> all agree and do not apply any clearance.

Philippe,

You're right!

Reconstitution of example with rendering image side by side:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/float-testing/inline-span-with-clear-example.html

Test from CSS 2.1 test suite:
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/latest/html4/clear-applies-to-008.htm

All the code examples and code excerpts in all CSS TRs should have a link
to a test showing, demonstrating such example in a real, live manner.
Errors would be avoided, issues with length, (proportionality) values,
scalability would be avoided and the instructional value/worth of the
examples would be increased.

Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011