Re: [css-display-viewport] Enabling fast layout for web apps via isolation

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:57:05 -0800
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:32 PM, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:
> @TabAtkins:
> I’m not quite sure why we should restrict only to ‘transform: translate()’
> positioning inside a viewport. I can easily understand that this is a quick
> and dirty way to achieve hardware-accelerated rendering in Webkit, but to me
> this seems like an artificial restriction imposed by the webkit engine, not
> really one that we should get in the spec. I would be interested in the
> opinion of other implementers there.

I explained why, and it has nothing to do with hardware-acceleration.

I also explained that my outline was for the lowest-level primitive
only, and I planned to layer primitive layout managers on top of it
which do simple things like lists and grids while maintaining the
benefits.