[css3-color] Issues with edits for currentColor being a computed value

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 13:44:01 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
The working group agreed to revise css3-color so that currentColor
is a computed value.  The edit made in the editor's draft is exactly
what is described in the REC's errata:
http://www.w3.org/Style/2011/REC-css3-color-20110607-errata.html#s.4.5

However, I think this edit is incorrect.

In particular, 'currentColor' **for the 'color' property** must
still be resolved at computed value time.  'color: currentColor'
should be treated just like 'color: inherit', including resolving
the value to an actual color at computed value time.  I'm not even
sure what it would mean to do otherwise.

Thus I propose the following additional errata on top of the current
errata:

 (1) In “4.4. ‘currentColor’ color keyword”, change:

     If the ‘currentColor’ keyword is set on the ‘color’ property
     itself, it is treated as ‘color: inherit’ <ins>when determining
     the computed value for ‘color’</ins>.

 (2) In “3.1. Foreground color: the ‘color’ property”, add, in the
     place of the previous removal (in the errata):

     <ins>The computed value for 'currentColor' or for 'inherit' is
     the computed value from the parent element, or, for the root
     element, which has no parent element, the initial value.</ins>

(In the errata list, these could both be merged into the existing
errata item.)

-David