Re: Initial values for widows and orphans

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> On 13/12/2012, at 10:21 AM, GĂ©rard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>
>> I do not understand why Webkit can not implement orphans and widows
>> according to CSS2.1 specification.
>>
>> I do not understand why you say that it would break existing content.
>
> Because these properties have implied behaviour on content, even when
> they were never specified by the author. Now, after years, our implementation
> turns them on and things change. I doubt any author will understand
> why. Whether or not it is a positive change is important, but not really
> our decision to make.

Yup.  The initial value was chosen on the assumption that the behavior
change wouldn't break things, because it's a nice default.

However, if you think that it'll cause content to break, then we
should obviously just be more conservative about things and set the
initial value to 1 (no effect) instead.