Re: Initial values for widows and orphans

On 13/12/2012, at 10:21 AM, Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org> wrote:

> I do not understand why Webkit can not implement orphans and widows
> according to CSS2.1 specification.
>
> I do not understand why you say that it would break existing content.

Because these properties have implied behaviour on content, even when
they were never specified by the author. Now, after years, our implementation
turns them on and things change. I doubt any author will understand
why. Whether or not it is a positive change is important, but not really
our decision to make.

> If webkit does not implement orphans and widows with a default, initial
> value of 2, then it will break web-standards-compliant content,
> web-interoperability and cross-browser-compatibility. Now and later.

That's why I sent the email - so we could discuss the issue.

> Regarding "to not break existing content", I am convinced that a very wide
> majority of existing web content do not use, do not declare 'widows' and
> 'orphans'.

Yes, that's exactly my point! If they did use and declare these properties,
we obviously wouldn't be breaking them. That's the way CSS works.

Dean