Re: [mediaqueries4] pointer: coarse and pannable, zoomable viewports

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [Tab Atkins Jr.:]
>> I think that, ideally, I'd like to know what the user is doing *right
>> now*, and lay out accordingly by growing/shrinking some things.
>
> I'm confused by your use of 'ideally' given your earlier statement that
> you wouldn't want the MQ value to swap (or did I misunderstand that?).
> How does laying out according to what the user is doing right now not
> result in reflows when the user can switch from one class of pointer to
> the other at will?

Note that I contradicted myself in the very next sentence. ^_^

But here, "ideally" was referring to a blue-sky,
if-everything-in-the-world-was-perfect-and-wonderful scenario.

>> In the absence of this kind of magical information, I suspect I'd be
>> pessimistic and just always design for the touch case.  Slightly larger
>> touch targets aren't *bad* for mouse-based interaction, they just produce
>> a slightly larger interface than is strictly necessary for a mouse.
>
> Yes, that is my expectation as well.

So are you with me in thinking that, in the absence of a strong signal
one way or the other, browsers should be pessimistic and report
"coarse" for this query?