RE: Initial values for widows and orphans

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:03:10 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
[fantasai:]

> I don't see that changing the spec here is particularly useful or
> necessary.
> Just put
>
> html {
>    widows: 1;
>    orphans: 1;
> }
>
> in the UA style sheet.

Er, not breaking existing content is quite useful and necessary :)

We could say 'fix the UA stylesheet' every time the initial value of
a new property breaks existing content. Generally, we don't. I do not
think the purpose of UA stylesheets is, or should be, to work around
initial values that conflict with existing content, be it on screen
or paper. The default behavior should be compatible when possible
and reasonable. Any specific reasons why it's too onerous here?