RE: [mediaqueries4] pointer: coarse and pannable, zoomable viewports

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:38:56 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
[Tab Atkins Jr.:]

> > The UA picks the lowest resolution pointer available, right? A Surface
> > with its type cover or a laptop with a touch screen have both coarse and
> fine pointers.
>
> We've had similar internal discussion, for what to do if you've got a
> laptop with both a touchpad (fine) and a touchscreen (coarse).  Our rough
> consensus was that the device chooses whichever one it expects the user to
> most often use.

I really have no idea how the device would know which one to pick, and that
sounds disturbing to me: when the device's expectation changes then my app
layout would suddenly reflow?

Granted, matching the least precise pointer available implies anything with
a touch screen would only ever apply touch-oriented layout and styling; but
though those may make somewhat less efficient use of the viewport such UIs
work fine with a mouse-like pointer and it seems better than making apps
or sites arbitrarily reflow while they're being used...