Re: [css3-text] word-break vs line-break

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:02:24 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp
On 12/04/2012 05:14 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Makoto Kato wrote:
>> Ex 2. Should we don't break CJK characters by word-break: keep-all?
>> (should we ignore line-break?)
>>
>> div {
>>    word-break: keep-all;
>>    line-break: loose;
>> }
>
> Both keep-all and line-break:loose defines where lines should not
> break, so they don't conflict. The two sets of prohibiting line
> break opportunities should be unioned.

I've added a parenthetical clarification to 'word-break' for this:

  # ‘keep-all’
  #    Implicit soft wrap opportunities between letters are suppressed,
  #    i.e. breaks are prohibited between pairs of letters (including
  #    those explicitly allowed by ‘line-break’) except where
  #    opportunities exist due to dictionary-based breaking.

As Koji points out, there is already one for 'break-all'.

~fantasai