Re: [css3-text] line-break needs a normative definition

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 07:46:35 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Glenn Adams wrote:
>
> > Ah, I see you are confusing the term "normative" with "mandatory".
> > An optional feature definition is still a normative definition.
>
> No confusion.  There's no normative definition, simply a list of
> "suggestions".

Again you are confusing normative with mandatory. The definitions of loose,
normal, and strict in 5.2 are normative definitions that are optional to
implement.

I think what you are trying to say is that an implementation of CSS3 Text
must implement these as opposed to may implement. I would agree with that
sentiment.

> I know CSS specs are loosey-goosey about normative behavior but this
> property needs defined behavior that will be consistent across
> implementations.

Again, they are normative definitions now. They just aren't defined as
mandatory from a conformance perspective. I would support re-designating
them as mandatory.