Re: [css3-text] line-break needs a normative definition

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 01:16:34 -0700
To: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Kato-san has already pointed out the lack of prioritization between
> the definitions of 'word-break' and 'line-break' as currently
> specified in CSS3 Text. [1]
>
> But I think a larger issue is that this property defines three levels
> of breaking, 'loose', 'normal', and 'strict' with only suggestions as
> to what the exact meaning of these levels are.
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-text/#line-break

What do you mean by "suggestions"? The current spec provides sufficiently
precise meaning for these terms, at least sufficiently specific to
implement and test in Webkit [1][2][3].

On the point of optionality that you make, I agree it would be best to NOT
mark the feature as optional.

[1] http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/LineBreaking
[2] http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/LineBreakingCSS3Mapping
[3] https://bugs.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=172397&action=prettypatch