Re: [css4-ui] Scrollbar tracking control

On 5/12/2012 9:40 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 2012-06-14 17:18 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Brief examples?
>
>   - preserving the user's position in the content when the user
>     resizes the page
>
>   - preserving the user's state of being at the (bottom/end) edge of
>     the content when the user resizes the page
>
>   - preserving the user's position in the content a non-end position
>     when content is added
>
> Stepping back, I think there are a bunch of infinite-scroll UIs
> being added these days, where new content gets added dynamically.
>
> I can think of two big models:
>
>   * new content at the top, but ability to scroll to get more old
>     content at the bottom (twitter, facebook)
>
>   * new content at bottom (chat)
>
> The interesting thing about the first is that content can be added
> at both ends.  When I scroll to the bottom in facebook or twitter,
> it dynamically adds more new content at the bottom (and doesn't
> scroll when it appears); when I scroll to the top, it dynamically
> adds new content to the top, and there are use cases both for
> holding position-in-content and for staying at the edge.

I have analyze and played around with FB using the Firefox add-on
Stylish. Absolute positioning is used very effectively. The dynamically
added content (in something like chat) is positioned in a fixed height
container that is offset from the bottom of the viewport. This mean you
have to scroll upward to find an earlier chat.

A 'scrollbar tracking control' seems to be something to deal with poor
coding practices where the author does not consider visible overflow.

Alan

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/