Re: [css3-text] spacing limits are not interoperable

On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 16:58 -0800, John Daggett wrote:
[...]
> My guess is that XSL-FO formatters are the same way, these settings
> are only consistent when used with a single implementation or at least
> across implementations that share a common algorithm and/or
> implementation.

Yes, XSL-FO does not specify the line-breaking and H&J algorithms.

> > >In an implementation which implements a "better" justification
> > >algorithm (e.g. a paragraph global algorithm rather than a line local
> > >one) this might lead to suboptimal results which would discourage the
> > >use of improved algorithms.
Note, an n-line sliding window algorithm seems to give the best results
in practice for Western scripts and languages. I've implemented this in
the past and I've heard it's also what InDesign uses.

> To put it another way, hopefully a quality implementation with good
> hyphenation obviates the need to use spacing controls.

For XSL-FO 2.0 we gave users some control over spacing for the purpose
of copy-fitting - "try to fit this text into this space; you can vary
the following parameters" - based largely on a design implemented at the
University of Bologna as a patch to FOP.

Liam