Re: [css3-values] Interaction of vw/vh and scrollbars

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> (In some cases we can't tell, like if <body> is overflow:auto.  In
>> that case, I think it's reasonable to either always ignore or always
>> assume scrollbars.  Current behavior in browsers is to always ignore,
>> so I'm fine with sticking to that.)
>>

> I think overflow:auto should match overflow:scroll.
>
> "Ignore" is considerably easier to implement due to cyclic dependencies
> with overflow:auto (scrollbar presence depends on element sizes which
> depend on scrollbar presence). It could be done, because such dependencies
> already exist and are handled by browsers, but I think you'd need a
> compelling reason to add more to that mess.

I didn't realize that browsers currently subtract scrollbars for
overflow:auto (http://tinyurl.com/d9uza67). I agree that auto and scroll
should match. What use-cases are there for vh/vw though? Wouldn't basically
all of them want to subtract scrollbars?