Re: Ambiguities in fill:url() / stroke:url() syntax

On Dec 3, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>> 'background-image: url(resource.svg#pattern)' could allow filling the background with an SVG pattern, or could reference a SVG gradient or SVG mesh gradient. And these SVG resources could be in a different document; something that is not possible with the 'element()' function yet.
>
> It is in our implementation of element(). We're just waiting for the spec to catch up. This is not a big deal. We don't have to wait for the spec to be updated, feel free to go ahead and implement element() and cross-document SVG resource references in it.
>>
>> > An SVG Stack doesn't work in 'fill' at all anyway.  The only property
>> > with an ambiguity so far is the new 'mask'.  Soonish I hope to have
>> > the ambiguity spread to all CSS properties that take an image, but
>> > they'll default to images as they currently do, so it'll be fine
>> > (you'll have to use element() to refer to an external resource).
>>
>> The proposal above would definitely mean that fragments can not be used for SVG stacks or media fragments. Media fragments would still be supported with the image() function then. This would be against my previous wish to support SVG stacks for URLs, but it might be a consensus that we all can live with.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm not sure which proposal you're supporting now.

Here a short example. On a CSS Image value, we would always interpret:

	url(file#frag)

as a reference of a SVG resource (like SVG Paint Server, Masker, Clipper, Filter or Marker) and

	url(file)

as an image. Media fragments would require the 'image()' function. Note that I brought this issue up for the next FXTF call.

Greetings,
Dirk