Re: Request for Comments: Proposal for Touch-Based Animation Scrubbing

On 02/12/2012, at 2:28 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> We haven't looked at the proposal deeply enough to see if it a proper fit
>> for the use cases we (Facebook) are mostly interested in (momentum and
>> infinite scrolling on touch devices), nor whether it is indeed the most
>> appropriate solution. However, I would like to react to your statement
>> that solving these use cases is not important for the Web and the CSS
>> community right now.
>>
>> Momentum scrolling is a key part of the user experience on touch devices,
>> in both native and web applications. Internal experiments we carried out
>> show a direct correlation between smoothness of scrolling and user
>> engagement. Not only did users who suffered a degraded scrolling
>> experience engage less with the app during the experiment. Once the
>> experiment was finished and their scrolling performance re-established, it
>> took weeks for them to get back to their initial engagement levels.
>>
> [snip]
>
> I strongly agree with you and, I think, Dean, that scrolling is hugely
> important for touch users.

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make. Users notice any degradation
in scrolling performance, and complain very loudly when they are not
happy about it, as Tobie explained.

Sylvain, I also agree with your response to Tab about not trying to stop
progress in CSS. The workload of the CSS WG was the least of my reasons for
suggesting we should not follow this line of work at the moment. I
could withdraw that point and I'd still be as strongly against following
this feature right now.

I think the scrolling properties proposed by Microsoft are an example of
something we'd find more immediately useful.

Dean