RE: Request for Comments: Proposal for Touch-Based Animation Scrubbing

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:36:03 +0000
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>, Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
[François REMY:]
> (however, I don't understand either why people think
> it could degrade the normal case performance, this is simply not true:

Hold it; what do you define as 'normal'? The normal case for most web pages
does not tie animations to scrolling. So I assume that by normal you mean
JS effects tied to scroll events. I do not think anyone says it would be
worse. Only that it might not be as good as you think. I, for one, don't
buy it would be sufficiently better to scale to what devs will do once
creating such animations is easy. But in fairness that's just a matter of
time.

My bigger concern is that there are far more important scenarios to address
right now. Making Facebook's momentum scrolling better, for instance, impacts
far more users than enabling Beercamp-style scrolling stunts (however cool I
may find them).