Re: [css3-value] calc and child selectors (was: Proposal for Touch-Based Animation Scrubbing)

From: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 22:54:02 +0100
Cc: "Simon Sapin" <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>, <www-style@w3.org>
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
On Nov 30, 2012, at 21:20, François REMY wrote:

> The computed value of a calculation may already be complex, even if this would make it even more. I guess that if browsers want to support "nth-child" they would get exactly the same issue anyway.

:nth-child() only depends on the sibling index. Counters depend on other things as well, e.g. display:none elements are not counted. So no, nth-child wouldn’t have that issue, I think.

That said, I really hope there's a way to make counters work in calc(). I don’t see the issue with overloading the function to return a <number> inside calc(), CSS’ strongly typed-ness is almost transparent to authors anyway.
However, the issue that Simon mentioned seems quite serious :(