Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:17:28 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
|  It's still using a function *and* a prefix, when you only need one.

True, but both have different meaning. The first one means 'use' the
following property while the second one means'this is a custom property'.
Also, if we use something like 'outline-color: self.background-color' you
don't have any prefix except a 'self.'

|  No, native properties always exist, and are always valid.  If you
|  don't specify a property on an element, it gets converted to its
|  initial or inherited value at specified-value time.

Certainly and I know that :-) You didn't get my argument: flex-length
*doesn't* exist at all. If you prefer, replace use(flex-length) by
use(do-not-exists-lol) and you'll see my point ;-)