Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:04:18 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
|  You may want to check the draft.  I switched the terminology to
|  "custom properties" a week or two ago.

Then, it doesn't make sense to use the 'var' prefix.

|  It's a tradeoff.  You may have to do a second search/replace while
|  renaming, but you have to type an additional four characters all of
|  the time.  "var(var-foo)" just seems... redundant.

use(my-property) and val(x-property) doesn't feel redundant at all.

|  If we do get arbitrary property referencing, we'll want another
|  function, like value() or prop() or something.

This is seriously discutable. For example, a "native" property doesn't
necesarrily exist and can be "invalid", too.

Sample:

    {
        width: use(parent.flex-length, 100%);
        // what if flex-length doesn't exist?;