Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:40:49 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com>
Cc: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
|  No damning argument, only that it's basically exactly the same as the
|  current spec, but with very slightly different names, and I like my
|  names better. ^_^

    1) Most people agree we should not call "CSS Variables" variables
anymore. Using 'var' is not only a bad idea but doesn't make sense.
"Variables properties" are not variables, they are properties. A variable
doesn't belong to an object, where 'css custom properties' belong to the
element they apply on. Calling them 'variables' is a non-sense, they are not
any variabler than other properties. Honestly, I think you're the only one
still defending the 'variable' terminology.

    2) This minimalist counter-proposal is not the same as your current ont
at all, because the *same* idenfier is used to define and use the variable
(ie: the difference is in the 'x-' or 'my-' or 'user-' being included in the
'use()' or 'val()' function. It's not logical to have a different identifier
to define and use the variable, and the first reason it's bad is that it
makes CTRL+H difficult. I'll have to make two of them to rename my variable,
which is one more than it should.

    3) If we want to support the use of any property in
'use()'/'val()'/'var()' or 'parent-var()'/'...' we will have a problem if we
didn't included the 'my-'/'x-'/'user-'/'var-' prefix from start.