Re: [css-variables] Different syntax for variable definition and use

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 21:16:37 +0200
To: "Marat Tanalin | tanalin.com" <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "Jens O. Meiert" <jens@meiert.com>, <www-style@w3.org>
|  More precisely, my proposal is not just different, it's
|  at least _less confusing_ and _more intuitive_ than
|  current CSS draft: variable name inside `@var` rule
|  and inside `var()` function are _identical_ and thus
|  totally intuitively connected with each other (that's
|  what current thread by Jens is about).

While I don't like the idea of an 'at-rule' inside a selector for variables,
I like your proposal more than the current one.

The identifier used to represent custom properties should be the same in the
"define" and the "use" world; this is a strong requirement I settled very
quickly in the discussion and almost anybody agree with it. The current
syntax doesn't comply to this elementary requirement and I would object to
it if I was a CSS WG member.